Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Mini-e performed well today. I did have one issue. The car was stationary in a parking lot and I was talking about the car with friends. The Mini-e was in drive but at rest for about 3 minutes.. One of the guys wanted to hear just how quiet the car drove. I pressed down on the accelerator and there was no response. No movement.... I had to shut down and restart. No big deal but worth noting.

This morning's errands had me following my wife in her ICE auto. She was definitely moving and to keep up I needed to accelerate through a light before it turned "yellow" (after all we all know one should stop on yellow and to do otherwise is illegal) It was warm out so I had the AC on for half the time as well. All this "effort" took quite a bit of energy. After all was said and done I put on 23 miles and burned though over 30 percent of the stored energy to get to Stony Point, NY!

The ride home was going to be 20 miles- I had plugged in for 4 hours and had 38% battery life. One the way home I called my wife and asked her if she wanted her favorite pizza from Turiellos in Nyack not giving any thought to distance as I have for the past 4 days. I thought I was in difficulty because battery reserve appeared to be decreasing at a higher rate than expected heading south on 9W. Here's the thing.... If you drive up inclines you can recover battery charge with the regenative braking system all the way down an incline and recover. A concept foreign to most drivers. I ended up driving 25 miles with 11 miles to spare. Very close to the battery capacity indicated. Lesson learned- If you drive this vehicle correctly you will reach your destination.

If you haven't figured it out yet.. I love this car. I wish there was some way to keep it longer than one year. If I could buy this car I would pay the price. Driving this car is the best driving experience I have had in a car. And because you drive a little more conservatively you get to notice the surrounding environment in a way I hadn't before. It's like taking a break from life and smelling the roses.

2 comments:

  1. Nice pics! I especially like that the car's number is displayed like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do get a lot of questions regarding the number and it usually leads into a conversation about the car.

    ReplyDelete